Show notes May 25, 2017- ep02 – Plotpoints Podcast
00:00:00 INTRO – THIS WEEK ON PODCAST
Mary Claire Anderson
This week Plotpoints ranged far and wide with a strong focus on what we do which is write, write, write – oh, and talk about writing!
No interview this week but plenty of interesting topics and tips!
This…is Plotpoints Podcast featuring #MarkSevi, #MaryClaireAnderson, #TobyWallwork, (#Mark, #MC, #Toby)
00:00:15 INTRO MUSIC
Thanks to all who listened to the 1st ep and gave us feedback! We’re learning!
00:01:43 THIS WEEK IN WRITING
Mark Sevi, Mary Claire Anderson, Toby Wallwork
– Mark, MC and Toby talked about their writing issues and what they’ve been working on.
Mark mentioned he had written 30 pages but it was 10 pages on three different (exploratory) scripts and he wasn’t even sure he’d keep any of them although he liked all the pages. However, this isn’t a negative according to Mark since he’s happy to discover if a project is viable or not by writing 10-20 pages to see if said concept is sustainable and dumping it for later if he doesn’t see a story developing.
MC bemoaned the fact that she is a perfectionist and hypercritical of her own work that is more likely not to be released for critique in Mark’s writing classes at #IVC (Irvine Valley College.)
Mark suggested that she not be so critical and go ahead and submit it to the workshop for critique. It helps to get other opinions and ideas.
Toby was a bad boy and didn’t do his homework. Actually, he is too busy being a professional editor to do much writing so he demurred on the question this week but sparked good discussion on another writing topic by following up on Mark’s comments.
Writing Workshop: Mark’s classes at IVC (123getsmart.com) www.scriptwritingclasses.org (info on Mark’s classes)
00:12:20 LEGENDARY WRITERS
Mark recounts the life and times of one of his writing heroes who wrote and produced many live TV dramas in the nascent days of TV, but is most famously known for his show #TheTwilightZone.
#RodSerling was a lot of what you’d expect – driven, prolific and insightful – and a some of what you wouldn’t expect – vain, filled with anxiety, and never truly, fully able to enjoy his successes.
The biggest insights about who Serling is come from the work he did, not necessarily the life he led. Of the 156 Twilight Zone eps, he did 90+ and his conscious and subconscious mind is writ large over almost every one of them.
Explore the intense and expansive mind of Rod Serling, television pioneer and writing legend in this profile.
00:28:35 ASK A SCREENWRITER
Mark Sevi with Mary Claire Anderson and Toby Wallwork
– Should I use the #WritersGuild (#WGA) or #Copyright Office to copyright my script?
– What does the copyright actually do for me?
– What is the #PoormansCopyright and is it valid?
– How do I work with #SyFy Channel?
– Can I adapt a book/comic book/etc.
– What is the public domain?
– How do I get an #agent? #Manager?
– Is there anyone who would like to produce “House Party 4?” (Uh, no, Toby!)
00:39:44 THIS WEEK IN MOVIE HISTORY
Mary Claire with Mark Sevi and Toby Wallwork
– A giant among movie blockbusters #ET written by #MelissaMatheson
– A fun-filled #Sister Act written by #PaulRudnick with contributions by such luminaries as #CarrieFisher and #NancyMyers.
Followup question to Mark: Have you rewritten anyone and have you ever been rewritten? How did you feel about it and how did the other writers you rewrote feel about you and the rewrite?
00:46:40 WHAT ARE WE WATCHING?
Toby Wallwork, Mark Sevi, Mary Claire Anderson
– Toby’s choice: The original #IntheHeatoftheNight (1967, Feature Film) written by #SterlingSilliphant.
– Mark’s choice: #DearWhitePeople (2017- , TV) created by #JustinSimien.
– MC’s choice: #MasterofNone”(2015- TV) created by #AzizAnsari, #AlanYang.
00:56:00 FIRESIDE CHAT WRAP
The phrase let’s go home has resonance in many movie and television shows.
00:59:30 UNTIL NEXT TIME – CLOSING CREDITS
Mary Claire Anderson
Saying adieu until next time!
919-SCRIPTS to leave a message/ask questions.
www.plotpoints.com (show blog and more)
Writers Guild Registration – www.wgawregistry.org
U.S. Copyright Office – www.copyright.gov
Podcast available on iTunes