What a great time we had. I think our enthusiasm for a 2nd show is even higher than the first. It was a long but satisfying experience.
Having said that, after listening to a rough mix from Toby, I feel like a few segments (mine) have to be cut:
- The Serling segment was lame because I didn’t give it enough work. I’ll revamp and try again next time. We’re cutting it.
- A lot of the chatter is just boring so that will be trimmed even further.
- We’d love to use all our guest’s material but it’s too long. We’re shooting for under and hour and even this rough cut is almost thirty minutes too long for that.
- I feel like we should cut the “Ratatouille” segment – I just didn’t do a good enough job seeking the insight I wanted from Miss SuperFan. But I’m outvoted. However it will be trimmed.
- My voice grates me every time I hear it. I also feel like I sound pompous, self-important, and over-reaching. UGH! But we can’t cut it all so most of it will stay. About the only segment I liked of mine was the Q&A I answered questions from students about scriptwriting.
- Which is a point we all agree on – we need to keep it focused more on writing. It’s a big note and something we all want to do better.
- It’s not a bad effort but it’s amazing that once you step away from something and gain some perspective how quickly the flaws show. My co-host and Toby sound great – I honestly think I sound like a dunce. If I didn’t have to listen to this to help determine the cuts, I would not.
I make my notes and give them back to Toby. I know this is a lot of work and hope he knows how much it’s appreciated. Imagine, if you will (still channeling Rod Serling) that you have to cut 3-4 words from someone’s “speechifiying.” And do that over and over again – has to be maddening. I know Toby is used to it from doing it as a film editor but it’s still maniacal.
MC is more sanguine about everything. She’s not nearly as critical and thinks it works well. While I agree that her and Toby sound great, again, I think I sound like a tool.
Anyway, this necessary part of the podcast is painful for me and I cannot wait for it to be done.